Allergic reaction from insect bites

Have you ever wondered why insect bites on your child appear redder and more swollen than yours? Is it because adults have thicker skin? 😜

Almost all insect bites can cause an allergic reaction in children! The response will depend on how sensitive your child is towards the insect’s bite. Allergic reaction from bites generally worsens 2-3 days later. Thankfully as children grow up, the severity of these reactions reduces.

Insect bite allergy symptoms include:

✔️ Pain
✔️ Redness
✔️ Swelling
✔️ Flushing
✔️ Hives
✔️ Itching
✔️ Anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction)
⚠️ Anaphylaxis

What are the symptoms following an insect bite in children?

Although rare, some children may suffer from a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. If your child has these symptoms following an insect bite, rush them immediately to the nearest hospital.
❗️ A widespread rash with severe itching
❗️ Chest tightness or difficulty in breathing
❗️ Difficulty in swallowing or hoarseness of voice due to swollen throat
❗️ Tummy pain with vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea
❗️Swollen lips or tongue
❗️A pale, weak child or fainting

What can you do following an insect bite?

✔️ Wash the skin over the bite area
✔️ Apply a soothing cream to reduce itching
✔️ Use cold water or a cold towel to reduce the swelling and pain
✔️ If the itch is severe, serve an appropriate dosage of antihistamine medicine
✔️ For children who are very sensitive to insect bites, applying a thin layer of steroid cream may be beneficial.
Related article:
References:
1. Insect sting allergy by American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology acaai.org
2. Insect bites and stings by The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne www.rch.org.au
3. Photo credited to childrenswellnesscenter
insect bites and children
LEARN MORE

INTERESTED IN PARENTING ARTICLES?

We have the right articles just for you.

“There is no such thing as a perfect parent. So just be a real one.” – Sue Atkins

LEARN MORE